Exterior house painting beautifies and protects your home. A-1 Coatings Painting has been painting exterior homes in Kansas City since 1993. We understand it is a costly expense and know how important is to complete the proper steps when painting the exterior of your home.
Why do I need to paint my home?
Not painting your home on a 5 to 6 years basis could end up costing you more money in the long run. For example, not painting your home could create many issues such as wood rot. Wood rot can appear overnight if the home is not protected by a good quality paint. Fixing wood rot can cost as much as painting the exterior of the home in some cases.
What’s the most important step in painting my home?
The most important step in the home painting process is preparation of the exterior of the home.
- First, power wash the exterior of the surface to remove dirt and grime.
- Next, scrape any loose paint off the exterior surface. While scraping you might run across wood rot as well. The wood rot must be removed to insure that the new exterior paint will bond to the surface correctly.
- Third, use a good quality of caulk after the scraping process to fill in any cracks on the exterior.
- Then you are ready to prime any bare wood areas. Priming is important to create a good adhesion for the new paint. Skipping this process could cost you more money down the road too.
- Finally, the last step is choosing a good quality of paint. This is important as there are so many exterior paints from which to choose. Going with a cheap exterior paint just means that you will be painting the exterior sooner than if you had gone with a higher-quality exterior paint.